Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Never a Dull Moment with the Ollmanns

Well, this has been an interesting week to say the least. If you have been paying attention to the news at all, you might have heard about the floods in Washington state around us. First of all, Amanda and I are both safe and things are still going well with us.

On the other hand Riverside, the nursing home I work at, was in the midst of the floods that got so much attention these past couple of days in Washington state. The facility is located about 30 yards off of the Skookomchuck River, which is connected to the Chehalis River.

Monday at work, we were starting to prepare for the possible evacuation of our residents from the nursing home due to the rising waters. We left for the evening under the impression from the chief of police that there was nothing to worry about. That however was not the case and with the 15 inches of rain we got in 24 hours, the waters rose really fast. Needless to say, I got a call at 2 am saying that we were evacuating the entire building.

It took 7 hours to get all 89 of the residents out, but we made it through 2-3 feet of flood waters on the roads to get them all out. It was definately an experience to drive through what seemed like rivers complete with rapids and everything, but the main thing was everyone made it through safe and sound. In the end, the waters got within yards of the facility but never actually came in.

This morning at 5 am, after getting the OK, we moved everyone back in. Tonight things are getting back to normal and the residents did very well with all of the excitement they went through.

Amanda was wonderful through all of this, as I was putting in some pretty crazy hours the past couple days. Now it is just time to get a little bit of rest and try to get back on a normal sleep schedule. (I feel like I just got back from Europe again and am trying to adjust to the time change.) Anyways hope everyones week has been going great.

We also hope that Aunt Pat and Uncle Brian learned how to use the locks on their new house. :)

1 comment:

Ruchell said...

Oh My Goodness! I had no idea of the floods. I only watch Grays and Surivor on my DVR. I don't Tivo the news. Wow - I am so glad you guys and all your residents are safe. Maybe Santa will bring you a rain coat for Xmas? Ha Ha or should I say Ho! Ho! Ho!

Guess when Hayden will arrive!!